FMB Oxford offers a comprehensive beamline optical design service. This covers the optical design of all synchrotron beamlines from undulator, wiggler, and bending magnet sources, including beamlines for hard and soft X-rays, UV, and infrared radiation.
FMB Oxford’s experienced beamline design team work with a customer to produce the optimal beamline design solution.
The service includes:
- estimation of beamline X-ray performance (energy range, flux, energy resolution, spot size, and divergence)
- optimisation of design (comparison of different optical configurations, positions of components, choice of gratings/ crystals, mirror figures, and grazing angles)
- specification of main components (mirrors, monochromators)
- specification of ancillary components (masks, slits, filters)
- calculation of beam footprints and heat loads (feed into FEA to estimate thermal distortions)
- feedback onto optical design to estimate performance effects
- iterative design of optical element cooling, and specification of optical element manipulator ranges and precision