Design Engineer (Mechanical)
FMB Oxford is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our existing team. The position requires a competent and motivated Mechanical Engineer who can produce designs, drawings and manufacturing information for projects.
- Translate engineering requirements from customer and functional specifications into fully detailed designs.
- Validate designs through simple calculations and analysis e.g. stress and safety considerations.
- Ensure that designs conform to company standards and appropriate design processes are followed [The company is ISO9001 accredited and operates a DDM design management system].
- Produce accurate and unambiguous manufacturing information packs (Parts Lists, Bills of Materials, etc.).
- Develop cost-effective and appropriate design solutions with input from customers, project managers, other engineers and production technicians.
- Support procurement, suppliers and manufacturing during all phases of provisioning, build test, installation and commissioning.
- Knowledge of precision mechanical engineering as applied to beamline systems (or similar high technology, high precision industry such as Space).
- Familiarity with designing equipment for ultra high vacuum (UHV) and high stability applications.
- 2-3 years’ experience with Solid Edge software desirable.
- Experience of using a design management system (DDM/PDM).
- Knowledge of limits and fits, stress calculations and drawing standards.
- Experience of working closely with all business functions (e.g. technical, marketing, sales, operations, customer service, finance, human resources).
- Structured and methodical approach and ability to manage own workload.
- Ability to select cost-effective manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Familiarity with manufacturing ERP/MRP systems.
- Awareness of Health and Safety and Product Regulatory requirements and ISO 9001 Quality Systems.
- Degree level qualification in Design or Mechanical Engineering beneficial
Degree level qualification in Design or Mechanical Engineering would be beneficial and experience in relevant industry desirable. A professional approach to working with customers, work colleagues and management is also required.
If you have a background in mechanical engineering and a desire to work with customers to define leading edge solutions we would like to hear from you.