We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced production supervisor/manager who is about to take the next step in an already successful career. The ideal candidate will have a production or manufacturing engineering background and be familiar with the build and installation of bespoke precision equipment. Initially responsible for the direct control of a team of 14 experienced technicians plus a manufacturing engineer and production scheduler. Within 6 months it is anticipated that the Manufacturing Manager will also take control of a further 4 people engaged in procurement and stores activities. The successful candidate will be a key member of the management team, reporting initially to the Operations Director. With the planned retirement of the Operations Director in approximately 18 months the Manufacturing Manager will then report directly to the Managing Director, with responsibility for nearly half of the company headcount.
- Create production schedules, set priorities, allocate and control workload
- Monitor the flow of work through production areas and take appropriate action to ensure that quality, delivery and cost objectives are met
- Assist in the recruitment, training and development of the manufacturing team
- Assist in the development of production processes and supporting documentation by coordinating the activities of the Manufacturing Engineer
- Responsible for overall management and control of Health & Safety within the manufacturing areas
- Liaise with other departments, customers and vendors where appropriate
- Maintain discipline and ensure adherence to company rules and procedures
- Make technical decisions affecting the assembly, modification and testing of products in accordance with the Quality Manual, technical specifications, drawings and work instructions
- Coordinate the shipment of products, including liaison with customers, packers and shippers and ensure that appropriate documentation is available when required
- Carry out and assist with internal and external risk assessments
- In conjunction with Project Managers ensure effective installation, commissioning and support of products at customer facilities. Including allocation of appropriate resource, ensuring appropriate travel arrangements are made and where necessary liaising with customers.
- Monitor and report on production activities and resolve any quality and cost issues
- Participate in design and post-project reviews, and lead on improvement projects and problem solving activities within manufacturing
- Manage departmental expenditure in line with allocated budgets
Additional responsibilities to be added within 6 months of commencement of employment:
- Manage the activities of the purchasing and stores team and ensure that procurement deadlines and cost targets are met
- Develop supplier relationships and work in conjunction with FMB Berlin to obtain group purchasing benefits
- Oversee all aspects of product shipment and ensure that the correct documentation is generated in order to expedite customs clearance and minimise tax and duty liabilities
- Maintain a flexible attitude and approach to changing priorities and requirements
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships throughout the business
- Assist the Operations Director in the management, organisation and development of the production team and facilities
- Promote a ‘can do’ attitude within the manufacturing team through leadership by example
- Participate as part of the management team in the general running of the business
- Significant prior management or supervisory experience in an engineering business involved in the manufacture, test and installation of precision assemblies
- Experience of UHV processes and/or clean assembly
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, functional specifications, work instructions, etc.
- Experience of working within an ISO9001 discipline
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good personal, project and time management skills
- Structured, methodical and well organised approach
- Effective influencing and motivating skills
- Knowledge of control systems and motion testing of high precision assemblies
- General awareness of a wide variety of engineering materials, properties and applications
- Experience of working closely with all business functions (e.g. engineering, sales, operations, customer service, finance)
- Technical competence by qualification and/or experience (e.g. apprenticeship). Preference will be given to candidates having appropriate qualifications and training
- Training or formal qualification in management or supervisory skills
- Training or formal qualification in Health and Safety
The company offers a competitive package, available to the right candidate, including excellent benefits:
- 7% company pension contribution
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Life Insurance.
If you are a team player with good organisational and problem solving skills who demonstrates a can-do attitude and are ready to take the next step we would like to hear from you.
Agencies need not apply.