We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced production supervisor/manager who is about to take the next step in an already successful career. The ideal candidate will have a production or manufacturing engineering background and be familiar with the build and installation of bespoke precision equipment. Initially responsible for the direct control of a team of 14 experienced technicians plus a Manufacturing Engineer and Production Scheduler. Within 6 months it is anticipated that the Manufacturing Manager will also take control of a further 4 people engaged in procurement and stores activities. The successful candidate will be a key member of the management team, reporting initially to the Operations Director. With the planned retirement of the Operations Director in approximately 18 months the Manufacturing Manager will then report directly to the Managing Director, with responsibility for nearly half of the company headcount.
Lead and direct the manufacturing team and set and implement improvement targets
- Set production priorities in line with business targets and ensure resources are appropriately allocated and controlled
- Monitor and report on the flow of work through production areas and take appropriate action to ensure that quality, delivery and cost objectives are met
- Manage the recruitment, training and development of the manufacturing team
- Manage the development of production processes and supporting documentation by coordinating the activities of the Manufacturing Engineer
- Manage and control of Health & Safety within the manufacturing areas, including responsibility for assessing and mitigating risk
- Make technical decisions affecting the assembly, modification and testing of products in accordance with the Quality Manual, technical specifications, drawings and work instructions
- Coordinate the shipment of products, including liaison with customers, packers and shippers and ensure that appropriate documentation is available when required
- In conjunction with Project Managers ensure effective installation, commissioning and support of products at customer facilities. Including allocation of appropriate resource, ensuring appropriate travel arrangements are made and where necessary liaising with customers.
- Participate in design and post-project reviews, and lead on improvement projects and problem solving activities within manufacturing
- Manage departmental expenditure in line with allocated budgets
- Manage customer service issues and determine what action should be taken to ensure that customer expectations are satisfied in a timely and cost effective way
Additional responsibilities to be added within 6 months of commencement of employment:
Lead and direct the materials team and set and implement improvement targets
- Manage the activities of the purchasing and stores team and ensure that procurement deadlines and cost targets are met
- Develop supplier relationships and work in conjunction with FMB Berlin to obtain group purchasing benefits
- Oversee all aspects of product shipment and ensure that the correct documentation is generated in order to expedite customs clearance and minimise tax and duty liabilities
- Participate as part of the management team in the general running of the business and use previous experience to drive improvements within the business.
- Maintain a flexible attitude and approach to changing priorities and requirements
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships throughout the business
- Assist the Operations Director in the management, organisation and development of the production team and facilities
- Promote a ‘can do’ attitude within the manufacturing team through leadership by example
- Significant prior management or supervisory experience in an engineering business
- Ability to read and interpret engineering specifications, drawings, work procedures, user documentation, etc.
- Experience of working within an ISO9001 discipline
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good personal, project and time management skills
- Structured, methodical and well organised approach
- Effective influencing and motivating skills
- Experience of working closely with all business functions (e.g. engineering, sales, operations, customer service, finance)
- Experience in the manufacture, test and installation of precision assemblies
- Experience of UHV processes and/or clean assembly
- General awareness of a wide variety of engineering materials, properties, processes and applications
- BEng/BSc in a related Engineering discipline
- Higher degree in Engineering/Management/Science
- Training or formal qualification in Health and Safety
- Training or formal qualification in Quality Management
The company offers a competitive package, available to the right candidate, including excellent benefits:
- 7% company pension contribution
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection.
If you are a team player with good organisational and problem solving skills who demonstrates a can-do attitude and are ready to take the next step we would like to hear from you.
Agencies need not apply.