Principal Mechanical Engineer
We are currently seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer with exposure to controls to lead developments in our Engineering Department. The selected candidate will champion engineering excellence within the group and be comfortable leading cross-functional teams.
- Understanding and interpreting customer’s requirements, communication with customers verbally, in writing and in person.
- Preparing and critiquing functional and design specifications.
- Leading cost effective, elegant designs for manufacture through design, design workshops and design reviews. Working to exceed customer expectations.
- Performing calculations and analysis, e.g. hand calculations and FEAs to support design concepts.
- Liaison with vendors and sub-contractors regarding the supply of products and services. Auditing and expediting vendors where these are critical.
- Managing projects in terms of schedule, cost and quality. Identifying and managing risks of projects using new technology.
- Producing, checking and managing drawings and other manufacturing information. Leading the improvements in design and drawing standards within FMBO.
- Providing leadership in metrology and product demonstration.
- Supporting on-site installations, commissioning and hand-over to the customer.
- Provide technical consultancy for mechanical aspects of the FMBO’s products.
- Drive forward product development through innovation and standardisation.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues, encouraging excellence in project and product execution.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with 3rd parties, demonstrating high levels of professionalism
- Extensive experience in high precision mechanics and motions
- Experience of design for manufacture and review processes.
- Ability to carry out analysis and calculations.
- Wide experience of design and modelling, knowledge of drawing standards.
- Ability to select cost-effective manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Awareness of Health and Safety and Product Regulatory requirements and ISO 9001 Quality Systems
You will be qualified to degree or second degree level in mechanical engineering with at least 10 years industrial experience. The position is based in the UK office but some overseas travel may be required to interact with key customers. This role requires an experienced operator wanting to demonstrate engineering excellence in practice.
The company offers a competitive package, available to the right candidate, including generous benefits:
- 7% company pension contribution
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible working hours including ½ day Friday
- Life Insurance.
If you are proficient in using 3D CAD tools and have a track record in conceptualising and detailing new products based upon a strong understanding of engineering fundamentals then we would like to hear from you.