Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
FMB Oxford is currently seeking an experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our existing team. The position requires a highly competent and motivated Mechanical Engineer who can devise competitive solutions to meet challenging equipment requirements in the scientific and research community. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will also be responsible for validating design proposals through rigorous analysis and effective testing. Areas of interest include thermal management, thermal and vibrational stability, ultra high precision motion controls and ultra high vacuum (UHV) compatibility.
- Mechanical concept design of high stability systems, involving high precision movements and control feedback
- Interpreting customer requirements and translating them into cost effective and elegant solutions
- Defining requirements in clear and concise terms that can be implemented by the product design teams
- Participating in design and product review processes
- Providing back up calculations and analyses for proposed design solutions
- Working closely with Controls Engineers to develop precision motion controls and feedback systems
- Communication with customers and assisting them in the development of solutions that will exceed their expectations
- Communication with vendors and subcontractors with the aim of identifying leading edge technologies, materials and processes
- Assisting in the preparation of bid proposals
- Maintain a flexible attitude and approach to changing priorities and requirements
Candidates will be qualified to BSc or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering. The successful candidate will have extensive 3D modelling and design experience using Solid Edge and a high level of capability in mechanical design and design analysis. A professional approach to working with customers, work colleagues and management is also required. Project management skills including control of project costs, risk analysis, project planning and expediting are also desirable.
There will be an evaluation of Solid Edge use for all successful applicant. A portfolio of previous work will also be required.
If you have a background in mechanical engineering, a good understanding of physics principles and a desire to work with customers to define leading edge solutions we would like to hear from you.